User login

AC3 Bugs

119 replies [Last post]
Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

It's common knowledge that (at release) AC3 is a pretty buggy game. It's still quite playable and enjoyable, so don't let that stop you from picking up a copy. But with any luck, somebody from Ubisoft might come across this site and want to hear about these, so I'm compiling a list and I'd like your help.

Post your own experiences and I'll update the initial post. Please list which system you're playing on (PS3, 360 or PC). Also, if you see a bug that you've experienced on your system but the listing doesn't show your system, mention it and I'll add it.

I'd like to keep this list to bugs that occur at least semi-regularly and not just one-time offenders. But post those anyway; if there are trends it might illuminate something bigger that needs fixing.

  • Updates in red
  • * indicates that this bug is supposedly fixed in the latest patch but requires confirmation


  • NPCs
    • NPCs sometimes have the wrong voice [ 360 ] *
      A female voice coming from a male character, or vice versa. These are usually the 'got hit' sound effects.
    • NPCs spawn inside walls [ 360 ]
      This happens from time to time and is a pain when it's a mission target or the last guy needed to complete the mission objective. They cannot be attacked while inside a wall but sometimes they can still see/attack you. Even still, they have no way of getting out of the wall, so you'll have to move far enough away and come back or reload the last checkpoint to reset them.
    • NPCs not showing up at coordinates [ 360 ] *
      You go to the icon on the map and...there's no one there. No people, no animals, nothing. Moving far enough away and coming back usually fixes the issue, but that's a huge pain. I've only noticed this in cities.
    • Civilians missing or randomly disappearing right in front of you [ 360 ] *
      I've come across a woman (normally part of a blend group) having a conversation with herself, gesturing and arguing with her nowhere-to-be-seen husband. I rotate the camera away and then back and she's gone. In another situation I was to go and burn a sick guy's blankets. Nobody was there, but Connor felt it was necessary to argue (with himself) as to why he is burning the contaminated blankets. Other times I've seen a person walk across the street and vanish right in front of me.
  • World
    • Falling through the world [ PS3, 360 ]
      There are several locations throughout the game where the ground looks solid but you fall through it into the void.
    • Interactions can be made through narrow walls [ 360 ]
      You can do things like tear down wanted posters from the other side of a wall if it's narrow enough. You'll see the animus sphere grid sticking through the other side of the wall and can interact from that side. But be careful – this will often place you inside the wall once the interaction cutscene is over. Other situations involve the animus sphere grid showing through the other side of a wall but cannot be interacted with, such as the candlestick switch in the homestead. It looks really bad having a part of the sphere sticking out through the back of the wall. Why is it a sphere, anyway?
    • Chest lock-picking offset [ PS3, 360 ] *
      Sometimes Connor will be a foot or two off to one side and sticking his tools through the side of the wooden chests. The animations are normal and you can still unlock the chest the regular way, but the graphics don't line up.
  • Combat
    • Guards attacking you for no reason in cities [ PS3, 360 ]
      I'm incognito, I'm not in open combat, I haven't done anything but mind my own damned business for the last three or four minutes, and then I'm walking down the street and suddenly it's Let's Kill Connor Hour and I'm in open combat and surrounded. WTF? This only happens in cities. Could be related to "negative notoriety" (see Notoriety section).
    • Incoming attacks don't always have the red triangle; those that don't cannot be countered [ 360, PC ]
      This happens when open combat begins and an enemy strikes at you before Connor gets into the fighting stance. You can recreate this bug any time by initiating combat, running a short distance, then stopping and turning around. Connor stands there in the regular stance and the enemy runs up and attacks him. No triangle, cannot counter. You take the hit every time.
      The ability to counter seems to be connected to the red/yellow triangle and not the enemy's animation. If the triangle's appearance isn't triggered, you can't counter. The triangle doesn't show up when Connor isn't in combat stance.
    • Randomly you will be desynced from moving "too far from your target" even when you're not on a mission [ 360 ]
      I can only assume this is due to certain randomly located missions where you have to beat up some guys or eavesdrop or whatever and it triggers via proximity. However, in some situations that proximity is dozens of meters and often through buildings, yet somehow it still gets triggered. You can't leave the area until you track down and kill the target(s), lest you become desynchronized.
    • The living dead [ 360 ]
      You've killed everyone in the area, but that one crumpled corpse in the corner is still yelling threats at you. You're still considered to be in open combat. Your compass is red. When you move out of line-of-sight with the corpse, your compass goes yellow. You cannot target him, and thus cannot (re)kill him. If this happens while on a mission and prevents you from completing the objective, you have to reload your last checkpoint or move far enough away to desynchronize.
    • Human shield [ PS3, 360, PC ]
      There is a very limited window of opportunity to perform this move, and it's a little off. You can't do it as soon as you should be able to, and you can do it later than you should be able to, causing the squad to delay their firing until you've completed the animation and are holding the guy up for them to shoot at.
      It also has trouble working if the enemy you're trying to grab is moving away from you and it often doesn't like to initiate if you're holding a direction on the analog stick. Furthermore, it's touchy if you're rapidly tapping the button and rarely works if you press and hold the button (which is more instinctual, given the actual move).
    • Tool unequips after using a two-handed weapon [ 360 ]
      When you drop or otherwise dispose of a two-handed weapon, often the tool icon becomes empty and you have to re-select your tool from the wheel or the d-pad shortcut. It should be returning to its previous selection, but that doesn't always happen. There are several other situations where your tool becomes unequipped, but I haven't documented them yet.
    • Recruits forget to leave [ 360 ]
      Recruits will run away after battle, but on occasion will stop a couple blocks away and stand there, doing nothing. If you can begin open combat near them, it will "snap them out of it" and they will resume fighting, then run away again and (hopefully) disappear properly this time.
  • Social Status
    • Wanted posters not having a graphic but the interact works, and vice versa [ 360 ]
      Those damn wanted posters. Half the time there's no poster but you see the animus sphere grid and can interact with it, tearing down nothing and removing a level of notoriety. Other times you see a poster but you walk all over that little spot jamming on the button and you can't interact with it. This is a very common occurrence.
    • Negative notoriety? [ 360 ]
      Quite often when you're incognito, you can still tear down posters and bribe newsboys and visit the printing press. And it seems like doing so may give you negative notoriety, which seems to have a loop-around effect. Rip down a couple posters while incognito and some guards might treat you like you're level 2 or 3, even in non-restricted zones.
    • Tail/pickpocket/eavesdrop target always sees you [ 360 ]
      If you get yourself too close to one of these targets, then quickly move into a nearby blend spot after they've began investigating (yellow arrow), they will then always see you even from a long distance. For instance, trigger the bug and remain blended until he/she moves 20m away. Move out and start following and they instantly turn around and see you (yellow arrow). Hide and the arrow goes gray, then disappears after a few seconds and they resume their path. Step into view again and they whip around and there's the yellow arrow again. Eyes on the back of their heads. Even if you wait until you're right outside the maximum range and at risk of desynchronization, they will still see you. If you reload your checkpoint or desynchronize (it's hard not to), the bug will be gone until you get too close and blend again. It's generally in the vicinity of 5 meters, though I've had it happen from a little further. Oh, and in this situation they see you even if you're way up above them, contrary to normal tailing behavior.
  • Map / Compass
    • Waypoint marker relocates itself [ PS3, 360, PC ]
      When you set a waypoint marker on an icon – such as a mission or contact – then you go and complete that objective, the waypoint relocates itself to some random spot on the map. This is very consistent. The waypoint marker should disappear once the task is complete and the icon gone.
    • Peddler waypoint marker sometimes does not sync with his actual position [ 360 ]
      When putting a waypoint marker on a traveling merchant, the waypoint always appears as normal on the map but occasionally the waypoint in the game leads you to a random empty spot hundreds of meters away.
    • Not all restricted areas are shown in red on the map [ PS3, 360 ]
      There are definitely at least two areas that are considered attack-on-sight but don't have the red 'restricted area' marking on the map or compass and there is no text or sound notification to inform you that you have moved into such an area. Your notoriety doesn't change either, the way it normally does when you enter restricted zones.
    • Red blips on the compass but no guards [ 360, PC ]
      Far too often you'll walk into an area, hungrily looking for more red blips only to find that there's no one actually there. There are no buildings nearby and you're standing on top of the red dot(s), but no guards in sight. This also happens when you've killed a big group (or two or three) in one area – their dots sometimes don't disappear. What's creepy is that sometimes these dots will actively 'patrol', moving around on your compass. Ghosts...?
    • Icons missing from the map [ PS3, 360 ] Fixed!
      Some icons for tasks do not appear on the map until you've 'discovered' them by being close enough for them to show up on the compass map. When you get an assassination contract, for example, the locations of the targets should (and usually do) show up on the map. But on occasion you'll have no more of those icons on the map and it will just show up if you happen to walk in the vicinity of where it's supposed to be. Since you can't know where this is, it's possible to have several tasks of various sorts unfinished and you have no idea where they are to go and complete them. This happens even with a fully-explored map, and seems to only be the white-icon tasks.
  • Items / Inventory
    • Consumables zeroed out when doing missions or changing zones [ PS3, 360, PC ]
      Much like in AC2 and its two spinoffs, AC3 carried over the bug where some types of consumable items will deplete to zero when beginning missions or changing cities/zones. You can buy the maximum number of arrows, snares and bait, go do a mission and suddenly you have zero of them, even though you didn't use any. This isn't a balancing issue because you can still loot corpses from within the missions to get some of these items. If the devs didn't want us to have these items for particular missions, they would have locked the items out rather than taking away our ammo and making us buy/loot/earn more, so that's not the case. It's simply a bug that has persisted throughout the Assassin's Creed series.
  • Menu / UI
    • Money HUD element cannot be turned off [ PS3, 360, PC ]
      Pretty self-explanatory. You can turn off all HUD elements except for the one that displays how much money you have. This was obviously a simply oversight and will hopefully be corrected with minimal effort. I imagine it's the same on the PS3 version but haven't read any comments on it yet.
    • Animus database background music [ PS3 ] *
      The background music played while reading animus database entries sometimes persists after exiting the animus menu and returning to gameplay. If you bring up the map and return to gameplay, it will return the music to normal.
  • Cinematics / Cutscenes
    • Lip syncing [ 360 ]
      Lips occasionally do not sync with the voice during cutscenes.
    • Actors/objects out of place [ 360 ]
      Sometimes NPCs will be sitting on nothing. Or is it an invisible chair...? An even better trick is when Connor goes and sits in a chair already occupied by another NPC and passes right through them like a ghost.
    • NPCs hold weapons when they shouldn't [ 360 ]
      Don't you just hate when that guy telling a tall tale forgot to sheath his weapon before gesturing wildly? It's not dangerous to Connor, but it looks absolutely ridiculous when somebody is sitting with their elbows on the table and gesturing with a weapon in their hand and it repeatedly clips through their head. This is especially common in the scenes where you're chatting up frontiersmen and your Assassin recruits in the taverns.
JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Citizen
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

PSN: JoeyFogey

Twitch Livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/joeyfogey

Facebook Art Page: https://www.facebook.com/jfogey?ref=hl

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

Added it to the list. Thanks. Smile

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

Thank you for listing the final one. This one is honestly INFURIATING. In the beginning, I thought it had something to do with the fact that map revelation now doesn't hinge on Viewpoints 100%, but I was wrong. Even with a fully explored map, like you said, it still happens. I received a patch a few days ago that made Washington appear on my map once more, but didn't fix any of the Side Missions. As such, I'm still stuck at 98% until this either gets fixed or someone has a map of every single white marker mission.
And on that note, 1 more day until everyone else can get this and help us out.

Why did it have to end this way?

ThroatnDagger's picture
ThroatnDagger
Offline
Citizen
male
Kingston
Joined: 09/18/2012

As soon as I pick it up I'll buy a PS3 and let you know everything that happens, minor or major. Won't be on here for a couple days, just to gather info. Thanks for everything DAZ.

"Make humble your heart Altair, or I swear I'll tear it from you with my bear hands."-Al Mualim

joshanh's picture
joshanh
Offline
Citizen
London
Joined: 11/03/2012

theres a really annoying problem on the level where desmond goes to manhattan. Whenever I press r1 to start free-running, the camera shifts to somewhere completely random and i have know idea what im actually doing so at this moment in time i am completely stuck on this level

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

Try rebooting your game. This camera issue has happened to me within the Animus as well. Fast Travelling doesn't work. Just press Start, Quit to main Menu, turn off your console, turn it back on. That resolved it for me.

Why did it have to end this way?

Whiteman857's picture
Whiteman857
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 11/04/2012

Idk if anyone can help me, but i havta point this out. I beat AC3 and went back to boston to fully liberate it. I was able to 100% liberate the bottom and middle sections but my north district is stuck at 71% and it doesnt show anymore missions for me to do. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do aside from a full restart?

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

I don't think a Full Restart would even work. Try zooming in on the map all the way and going to sections that look all pixelated. Explore those sections and you may discover missions that didn't appear on your map. Unfortunately this only solves part of the problem, so although I've done that, I still can't 100% the game.

Why did it have to end this way?

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012

I fully liberated boston this morning.

I did have a problem with the bottom section due to the icon disappearing.

If I'm remembering correctly, for the north part of boston, even though it's not on the map, you need to liberate 3 people in pillories/stocks and you need to liberate 3 shops on the docks being harassed by thugs. Even if the icons aren't there, this is what you're looking for. The pillories/stocks are all behind buildings in courtyards guarded by men and in red areas... so you probably have all them already.

Also, the shops getting harassed by thugs, you can't send your assassin recruit in to kill the thug... once you get close enough to trip the scene he respawns and runs to his horse. The easiest way is to charge at him and assassinate him before he knows what hit him.


xbl: scottishduck88

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

DAZ, I do all my investigating in AC1 without a map. And I started doing that when I barely knew the game. I completed Dishonored without any objective markers whatsoever.

Saying you can't 100% the game because you don't have the markers on your map is like saying you can't see anything at all because you forgot to put your glasses on.

_________________

I am, in fact, awesome.

"Double the patrols!" "Which ones?" "ALL OF THEM!"

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

That's true, but I don't know how much of it I'm missing due to not finding it myself, and how much is legitimately missing from the game. Like my Frontier and Trading Post thread.

Why did it have to end this way?

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
161803398874989 wrote:
Saying you can't 100% the game because you don't have the markers on your map is like saying you can't see anything at all because you forgot to put your glasses on.

It's more like saying you can't mow your lawn when you don't have a lawnmower. You can still trim your grass with a pair of scissors, but who would want to do it that way?

Most people don't have the time nor the patience to scour every last square inch of every zone looking for the last few missions. Especially when they don't appear until after you've done the initial black-icon mission to unlock them, forcing you to re-check areas you've already visited. So really, you'd be mowing this law ten times over with that same pair of scissors. No thank you.

sync's picture
sync
Offline
Citizen
france
Joined: 06/13/2011

Here are the minor bugs that happened to me (PS3) :
- about the chests that need to be unlocked manually, sometimes Connor would hold up the two pieces of metal in the wood around the lock instead of directly in it. The controls work and the animations are normal, it's just his hands aren't aligned with the lock.
- sometimes the background music you hear when reading Shaun's entries still continues when I exit the menu. When that happens I make it stop by looking at the map, then it doesn't come up again when I go back to the game.

And about the bug "Guards attacking you for no reason" : are you sure there weren't any children near you ? Or a guard's dog barking nearby ?

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
sync wrote:
- about the chests that need to be unlocked manually, sometimes Connor would hold up the two pieces of metal in the wood around the lock instead of directly in it. The controls work and the animations are normal, it's just his hands aren't aligned with the lock.

I've seen this too. I'll add it to the list.

sync wrote:
- sometimes the background music you hear when reading Shaun's entries still continues when I exit the menu. When that happens I make it stop by looking at the map, then it doesn't come up again when I go back to the game.

I haven't experienced this myself, but I haven't been checking the animus database either. Smile I'll add it to the list.

sync wrote:
And about the bug "Guards attacking you for no reason" : are you sure there weren't any children near you ? Or a guard's dog barking nearby ?

I believe the dogs only appear when you have notoriety. That or they leave you alone when you're incognito. Most of the time they ignore me. If they start barking, nearby guards will approach the dog and get the yellow triangles when they see what the dog is barking at (ie: you). The situation to which DAZ and I were referring has no lead-up like guards approaching or getting yellow triangles. It's just a sudden burst of open combat for no reason whatsoever.

What's wrong with children nearby? I can't see any reason why a guard would want to attack you just because there are children around. If anything, it should be the opposite...

In terms of guards attacking for no reason, I've come to notice that the odd chest is guarded by soldiers and if you approach, they attack. AC2 had this as well, but those areas always had the red zone on the map, as I recall. But this certainly isn't the only situation where guards attack for seemingly no reason. One time I was incognito walking down the middle of the street, rotating the camera to look around. After several seconds suddenly open combat initiates and guards come running from every direction. I wasn't on a mission, I hadn't attacked or pick-pocketed anyone, no guards were approaching me, no yellow triangles, no chest or mission nearby, etc.

aurllcooljay's picture
aurllcooljay
Offline
Citizen
male
Where not even Stabguy can find me.
Joined: 06/13/2010

When I started the courier missions, the character thanks me, but no mission starts. Someone reported the same thing with contracts. Anyone know anything about this?

Watch out for the camels.

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010

The contracts and courier missions both instantly activate with no notification. Look on your map after you've activated it and you should see icons for each of them. I really think that's kinda stupid but eh, at least it works.

I got the bug with the camera facing down once and an assassination contract guy stuck in a wall. I solved the first by restarting, and the second by glitching into the wall to kill them through hammering the assassinate button at key places.

I've seen the attack prompts not coming up, but they are still counterable for me...

"Imagine if you will: a large, established order of Assassins, several tall and sprawling cities, an enigmatic Mentor, a person trained since birth to kill, and a long list of Knights Templar who need to be rooted out and gutted."

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 12/13/2010
Asaic wrote:
161803398874989 wrote:
Saying you can't 100% the game because you don't have the markers on your map is like saying you can't see anything at all because you forgot to put your glasses on.

It's more like saying you can't mow your lawn when you don't have a lawnmower. You can still trim your grass with a pair of scissors, but who would want to do it that way?

That's a bad comparison because the difference between trimming your grass with a pair of scissors and mowing the lawn with the lawnmower is a lot larger than the difference between finding all the missions yourself and looking them up on a map.

_________________

I am, in fact, awesome.

"Double the patrols!" "Which ones?" "ALL OF THEM!"

sync's picture
sync
Offline
Citizen
france
Joined: 06/13/2011
Asaic wrote:
What's wrong with children nearby? I can't see any reason why a guard would want to attack you just because there are children around. If anything, it should be the opposite...

By children I mean the orphans that are in groups of 3 that surround you when they spot you, like the beggars and ministrels. If I remember correctly, the first time you encounter them in the game the animus warns you that they draw the guards' attention to you, so you have to disctract them by giving them money. I can't remember if that makes the guards only suspicious or if they immediately attack though.

Another detail : in the "The battle of Monmouth" entry (in the newspapers section), they wrote "La marquise de Lafayette" (the female marquis..) instead of "Le marquis", which is the correct spelling since Lafayette is a man.

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010

It doesn't make them suspicious, I think. Just pay attention. IF you're notorious it would be a bad thing.

Also is that an entry written by shaun? If it is it could just be a subtle joke from him. If not then the newspapers of the time weren't perfect, were they?

"Imagine if you will: a large, established order of Assassins, several tall and sprawling cities, an enigmatic Mentor, a person trained since birth to kill, and a long list of Knights Templar who need to be rooted out and gutted."

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
Calvar The Blade wrote:
I got the bug with the camera facing down once and an assassination contract guy stuck in a wall. I solved the first by restarting, and the second by glitching into the wall to kill them through hammering the assassinate button at key places.

How does one 'glitch into the wall'?

Calvar The Blade wrote:
I've seen the attack prompts not coming up, but they are still counterable for me...

Are you sure? It's definitely not counterable for me, I spent like twenty minutes last night testing it over and over (and recorded it too).

Try this: Initiate combat, then run away for a block or so, then stop. As the nearest guy catches up to you and swings his sword, see if you can counter it. I bet you can't.

161803398874989 wrote:
That's a bad comparison because the difference between trimming your grass with a pair of scissors and mowing the lawn with the lawnmower is a lot larger than the difference between finding all the missions yourself and looking them up on a map.

Actually it's not at all. Do you even understand how most of the optional missions work? You visit a black icon contact, then a number of white icon targets appear at different places throughout the game world, including places you've already been to. They don't give you any hints as to where these are, and they're not even in the same zone sometimes. If you don't visit the black icon contacts first, the white icons don't even show up. And once you've dealt with a number of white icon objectives, a new black icon shows up elsewhere and thus more white icons after visiting him/her. It goes on and on like this. If you're playing without using the map at all, it would take months to find everything because you'd be constantly revisiting every single area many times over. The game world is just too big to do that.

You're comparing this to doing investigations in AC1. That comparison is way off because in AC1 you only have a third of a city at a time and the bureau contact tells you what direction it's in. It's hard to not find these. AC3 is an entirely different beast.

sync wrote:
By children I mean the orphans that are in groups of 3 that surround you when they spot you, like the beggars and ministrels. If I remember correctly, the first time you encounter them in the game the animus warns you that they draw the guards' attention to you, so you have to disctract them by giving them money. I can't remember if that makes the guards only suspicious or if they immediately attack though.

As Calvar said, it just means they'll draw attention. It doesn't make you unincognito. If you're notorious and are trying to blend, those kids will reveal you if guards notice all the attention. That's all they do.

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012

How about NPCs frozen in time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujI4Ua18Bec

Sorry for the poor quality, first time making a video... the program output in the wrong aspect ratio, so I have to look into that.

All lines taken from Night at the Museum, as I thought that would be appropriate for the glitch.

Came upon a camp of frozen NPCs (including an animal!). They were unresponsive to me. One of which was even unresponsive to weapons at first (couldn't be targeted). As you can see, I was able to shoot one with arrows and the others didn't move until I used a melee weapon on one... This caused the final NPC to go into a targetable but still unattackable state until I moved far enough away from him.

My cord came unplugged right as I attempted to kill the last guy. That attack didn't work, but that can be our little secret.


xbl: scottishduck88

aurllcooljay's picture
aurllcooljay
Offline
Citizen
male
Where not even Stabguy can find me.
Joined: 06/13/2010

That was your video? I like your humor, man.

Watch out for the camels.

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012
aurllcooljay wrote:
That was your video? I like your humor, man.

Yes.

It was my first time recording... my first time using the editing software... and my first time putting anything on youtube...

I have something else I'm working on, but I don't want to disclose it yet...


xbl: scottishduck88

Nelly4808's picture
Nelly4808
Offline
Citizen
male
NH
Joined: 11/09/2012

Same problem two of the missions are over on east side on pier on is south of the shop make sure you find the fort as well

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012

Wish I had this one on video:

I was liberating a fort.

I got the powder reserves.

Then the fort captain vanished... sort of.

He became invisible!

I had to find and kill a ghost that could see me and fire bullets at me... good thing he was still on the minimap.


xbl: scottishduck88

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012
Incoming attacks don't always have the red triangle; those that don't cannot be countered [ 360 ]
This happens when open combat begins and an enemy strikes at you before Connor gets into the fighting stance. You can recreate this bug any time by initiating combat, running a short distance, then stopping and turning around. Connor stands there in the regular stance and the enemy runs up and attacks him. No triangle, cannot counter. You take the hit every time.
The ability to counter seems to be connected to the red/yellow triangle and not the enemy's animation. If the triangle's appearance isn't triggered, you can't counter. The triangle doesn't show up when Connor isn't in combat stance.

I got into battle the other day and NO indicators showed up. I was still able to counter.

However, another time I was in battle with several guards, and only ONE guard did no indicator show up. I wasn't able to counter him at first... but was able to later in the fight... :?

Maybe the indicator forces you to counter in the right window of time, and we are using it as a crutch?

----------------------------

Another bug. A graphics bug.
When you are fighting with only fists (often in the brawling challenges), certain animations show the knife in your left hand (or at least a shadow of the knife). Not in the actual attacking, but in the other movements after the kill animations....


xbl: scottishduck88

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
Double McStab with Cheese wrote:
I got into battle the other day and NO indicators showed up. I was still able to counter.

However, another time I was in battle with several guards, and only ONE guard did no indicator show up. I wasn't able to counter him at first... but was able to later in the fight... :?

Maybe the indicator forces you to counter in the right window of time, and we are using it as a crutch?

The window of opportunity doesn't change in my experience, after playing through several hours of combat with the HUD entirely off. (Except for the money display, why the hell can't we turn that off??)

What system are you playing on?

Did you try what I outlined in the original post, about running away, then turning and attempting to counter their attack as they catch up to you? Can you do that successfully?

Double McStab with Cheese wrote:
Another bug. A graphics bug.
When you are fighting with only fists (often in the brawling challenges), certain animations show the knife in your left hand (or at least a shadow of the knife). Not in the actual attacking, but in the other movements after the kill animations....

Are you sure the knife isn't in the left hand at all times during combat? I haven't used unarmed much (sick of picking up random weapons when disarming), but it seems to me that Connor always has the knife out when 'unarmed', including when you do the Boston Brawlers fights.

Have you had instances where he didn't have the knife at all, even through the attacking and countering animations?

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

Curious notation, while replaying the game for speedrun notes, selecting Tomahawk and whipping it out so he does the twirl will make a knife appear in his left hand. Sheathing the Tomahawk immediately makes the knife disappear, as if it were never there.

I believe a knife in his left hand is just his default back-up animation for Tomahawk, which doesn't make sense for Unarmed.

Why did it have to end this way?

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

I love spinning the tomahawk and other weapons. Laughing out loud

I wish Connor wouldn't automatically slap his weapons back in their sheaths the very moment the last guard dies. I want to twirl it around and look cocky, but it ends up looking dumb if he puts it away and pulls it back out again. Tongue

Another little touch I would have added would be to make the hidden blade version of the flourish in combat be the same as the one out of combat. Like how the jagers stand straight up with the sword down and to the side all confident-like, I'd like to be able to hold Armed hand make Connor stand in this stance, blades out, looking all menacing. Cool

Jedted's picture
Jedted
Offline
Citizen
male
Old Bridge, NJ
Joined: 01/17/2010

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there some Peg Leg trinkets in the Frontier that appear buried an inaccessible.

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012
Jedted wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there some Peg Leg trinkets in the Frontier that appear buried an inaccessible.

I haven't found them all yet... but most in the frontier are in caves... do some exploring... look for nearby cliffs and rocks to find the cave entrances. I'll let you know if there are any I can't access.


xbl: scottishduck88

Jedted's picture
Jedted
Offline
Citizen
male
Old Bridge, NJ
Joined: 01/17/2010
Double McStab with Cheese wrote:
Jedted wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there some Peg Leg trinkets in the Frontier that appear buried an inaccessible.

I haven't found them all yet... but most in the frontier are in caves... do some exploring... look for nearby cliffs and rocks to find the cave entrances. I'll let you know if there are any I can't access.

I thought that might be the case but i didn't see any nearby cave entrances. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough.

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012
Jedted wrote:
Double McStab with Cheese wrote:
Jedted wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there some Peg Leg trinkets in the Frontier that appear buried an inaccessible.

I haven't found them all yet... but most in the frontier are in caves... do some exploring... look for nearby cliffs and rocks to find the cave entrances. I'll let you know if there are any I can't access.

I thought that might be the case but i didn't see any nearby cave entrances. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough.

Some of them are hard to find/further away than you think they should be.... once I had to go to the edge of a cliff... get to the bottom of the cliff... THEN find the entrance... I think it was at least 30m from the trinket.


xbl: scottishduck88

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

One of the Pegleg Trinkets in Homestead is unreachable, pretty sure. At least in Free Roam. The way you get it is by doing the flowers mission for Miriam/Norris.

Why did it have to end this way?

ACFangirl's picture
ACFangirl
Offline
Citizen
female
West Virginia
Joined: 11/14/2012
DarkAlphabetZoup wrote:
One of the Pegleg Trinkets in Homestead is unreachable, pretty sure. At least in Free Roam. The way you get it is by doing the flowers mission for Miriam/Norris.

It's accessible before the quest becomes available. When I did it the first time the path to get up there wasn't apparent. I had to hope the rocks I was jumping to were climbable.

The glitches I've run into so far:
-Civilians missing or randomly disappearing right in front of you
This normally happens to me whenever I'm running down the street in either Boston or New York.
-Chest lock-picking offset
I think this one has happened to me at least twice. Except instead of being off to the left or right it's been a little bit over the lock.
-Guards attacking you for no reason in cities
This happens to me often since I tend to stick to the streets.
-Wanted posters not having a graphic but the interact works, and vice versa
-Tail/pickpocket/eavesdrop target always sees you
I wind up with this one often which ticks me off to no end. I'm surprised I got them done at all.
-Waypoint marker relocates itself
Something similar like this happens to me except it's with the custom marker you can use. It'll randomly place itself somewhere on the map and if I teleport to the closest point to the custom marker it will relocate itself and I'll have to place it again.
-Traveling merchant waypoint marker sometimes does not work
Had this happen with the merchant on the road to the Homestead and the guy near Valley Forge.
-Red blips on the compass but no guards
I've had this happen in an abandoned church in the Frontier. I go inside expecting to find a guard and there's nothing but civilians there. It stays there all the time even after I've left the Frontier or turned off the 360.
-Icons missing from the map
I've ran into two of these. One I can't remember and another along the shore in Valley Forge.
-Consumables zeroed out when doing missions or changing zones

I've ran into other glitches that aren't listed but I don't know how often they occur or if they're even glitches.

1. Some weird phasing through the ground glitch. As teenage Connor I was hunting and came upon three does: one standing, two lying down. I accidentally spooked them. The standing doe runs off but the two does that were lying down phase into the ground running. They don't move anywhere. I shot the first doe and she phased into the ground, leaving me unable to skin her. The second doe also phased into the ground but a pawprint popped up onto the mini map and started traveling sideways across the hill. I was unable to skin her either. I found a similar glitch in Concord recently except it involved a horse and rider. The horse was phased into the road, trotting, and the rider was on his back urging him on.

2. Lip-syncing is off. I don't think this is a glitch so much as a mistake. I've had it occur a lot with the cutscene after chasing Charles Lee. I've also had it occur with other NPCs. It just bugs me.

3. This happened during the cutscene after liberating the New York West district when you visit Jamie Colley. Connor's hairstyle was missing and was replaced with a hairstyle nearly similar to Desmond's. Again, this could've just been something that was overlooked.

4. I've had a couple unusual glitches/mistakes occur in taverns. The Green Dragon Tavern in Boston has two icons inside indicating I can talk to a couple recruits but no one is there. Another occurred in a tavern located in the Frontier. The recruits are inside except they're sitting on air and Connor sits in a chair all ready occupied by another NPC.

Phew, sorry for how long-winded that was. Smile

EzioAltair17's picture
EzioAltair17
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 05/31/2011

I Have this one recruit in nyc (Deborah) that i cannot find. Her mission doesnt show on the map. Did all her liberation missions as well.

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012

Someone's listening to some things....

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/726389-Assassin-s-Creed-III-Thanksg...

I'm extremely confused about the "FIXES" that seem to only make the objectives easier because they might be too hard to full sync... I mean, I full synced all the missions they "fixed." Making chases easier? Making the full syncs easier? Come on... why not: "Learn to play better." That seems like the easiest fix.


xbl: scottishduck88

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
Double McStab with Cheese wrote:
Come on... why not: "Learn to play better." That seems like the easiest fix.

That's not a fix, that's a lame excuse. If this was simply about some gamers not being good enough, there wouldn't be endless complaints about it on every AC-related forum on the internet.

Not everybody has the skills or reflexes of a younger person. Many also have neither the time nor the patience to keep retrying ad infinitum until they finally succeed. It's not fair to lock them out of content or fun when they're paying the same price as everyone else. Twitch skill and endless patience should not be required. Not all gamers are young.

The simple fact is, a lot of people struggle with many of the full sync requirements not because they suck, but rather because of bugs or other gameplay limitations that shouldn't be there. See my very lengthy post in the gameplay thread.

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012
Asaic wrote:
Double McStab with Cheese wrote:
Come on... why not: "Learn to play better." That seems like the easiest fix.

That's not a fix, that's a lame excuse. If this was simply about some gamers not being good enough, there wouldn't be endless complaints about it on every AC-related forum on the internet.

Not everybody has the skills or reflexes of a younger person. Many also have neither the time nor the patience to keep retrying ad infinitum until they finally succeed. It's not fair to lock them out of content or fun when they're paying the same price as everyone else. Twitch skill and endless patience should not be required. Not all gamers are young.

The simple fact is, a lot of people struggle with many of the full sync requirements not because they suck, but rather because of bugs or other gameplay limitations that shouldn't be there. See my very lengthy post in the gameplay thread.

So preventing someone from jumping in the water too early in a "do not jump in the water" optional objective fixes a glitch? The "glitch" where the player dives into the water too soon instead of running to the end of the log, maybe.... FLAE's eye roll


xbl: scottishduck88

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

Some of the things they fixed were definitely too hard.
I 100%ed all of the Main Missions, but I know that many players would have great trouble with some of the things I did while they were still broken. In addition to people who are playing Assassin's Creed for the first time with this game, there are players who just couldn't complete the Charles Lee chase to begin with. It had a seemingly large amount of randomness.

Why did it have to end this way?

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012

I understand that some people have experienced some optional objectives that make full syncing hard...

Some of the chases ARE difficult... but that doesn't mean impossible.

I don't understand why they made the game hard to begin with (on the request of gamers saying the previous ones were too easy), and are now making it easier.

It's not like people miss out on the game by not doing every little thing. It's still the same story. You still do the same missions. You still kill the same guys.

I don't consider myself great at the games. I don't devote much time to the games. How satisfying is it really going to be when someone goes back after the patch and accomplishes something, not because they got better, but because the game got easier?

Lots of the things in the patch are needed. I'm not saying they don't need to be fixed. But changing objectives or making missions easier to full sync when you can just as easily finish it without the tougher objectives?


xbl: scottishduck88

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

At that point, it really just becomes a matter of Ubisoft's perspective on the whole issue. They made all those Full Synchs and in their minds, if certain players can't finish them, and if those players exceed a certain amount (remember, they have consistent dataflow on players with all Assassin's Creeds past like the second one) that's just more than they can stand. Me, personally, I can't complain with these fixes. It's a package deal. The things that affect me, affect me positively. The things that don't, ah well whatever.

Why did it have to end this way?

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

McStab, just because you dug a ditch with a shovel before the backhoe was invented doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to use the backhoe to dig their ditches. Smile New easier ways to do things always appear over time. It's part of life. That doesn't affect the fact that you did it the only way it could be done at that point in time. If you consider it to be a personal achievement, then nothing can take that away from you.

Regarding the patch, I've noticed they didn't address the fact that the money portion of the HUD cannot be turned off. I really hope that was fixed too. I also need to add it to the list in the original post.

And this patch note:

- A text message is now visible on-screen at all times while a skippable cinematic is playing

This already happens for the skinning cinematic, so I'm worried about what this refers to. I really hope they're not referring to story cutscenes. Talk about breaking immersion...

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012
Asaic wrote:
- A text message is now visible on-screen at all times while a skippable cinematic is playing

This already happens for the skinning cinematic, so I'm worried about what this refers to. I really hope they're not referring to story cutscenes. Talk about breaking immersion...

I think it refers to the fact that any time it's skippable, it will let you know. Currently, (at least in my experience) you hit the button, it then displays if it's skippable, then you can hold the button to skip it.

I think you're dead on that it will break immersion in the game.

------

Re: backhoe vs shovel

Of course things change over time. If the objective to begin with is "dig a ditch with a shovel," and I'm not able to do it... I don't want to go back and accomplish the objective in retrospect because now the objective is changed to "dig a ditch however you want." For people playing through the first time, they'll see no change. But I'll always know that I failed at digging that ditch with a shovel, as was the original intention of the game designer.

I just don't like the fact that they are backing down and making it easier. They have so many other things to fix rather than "let's let them use a backhoe instead."


xbl: scottishduck88

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

I disagree. I think the full sync difficulty issues and bugs are some of the most complained about and affect the largest number of people. I'd put that as a higher priority than many of the bugs listed in this thread.

None of the bugs in AC3 are really game breaking, but the full sync issues are the next closest thing because they make it difficult to complete everything in the game.

I still feel that this is an incomplete patch, but perhaps there are a bunch of changes that they forgot to include in the patch notes. Happens all the time in MMOs. *fingers crossed*

Double McStab with Cheese's picture
Double McStab w...
Offline
Citizen
male
New Haven, CT
Joined: 03/29/2012

It just feels like they're giving in on a few of these (not many though). That's all. I wish they'd stand by their product and fix the glitches, not the difficulty. If it's truly not doable due to glitches, fix the glitches.

Making it harder to jump in the water doesn't solve a glitch. It solves a gameplay deficiency of the player. And it's not twitch muscles needed. You hold one button and direct the player up a log or two until a cutscene is triggered.


xbl: scottishduck88

Jedted's picture
Jedted
Offline
Citizen
male
Old Bridge, NJ
Joined: 01/17/2010

I wonder if "making the Charles Lee chase easier" means reducing extending the de-sync distance. Getting full sync on that one is hard enough but that could be quite maddening if you got shot or knocked down by the guards and it caused you to fail the mission.

One other minor frustration i had was in the final Captain Kidd mission. In the part where you get ambushed by a pack of wolves, the QTE that they use for the counter-kill was harder than normal(i felt like i pressed the second button it didn't register). I don't know if that's a bug or by design but if they're fixing other stuff to ease the difficulty then i hope they fix that.

For the record: I finally got full sync on that Captain Kidd mission by placing a trip-wire bomb right where the wolves spawn. Cool

DarkAlphabetZoup's picture
DarkAlphabetZoup
Offline
Citizen
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

@Jed, I ran around in the trees as soon as they spawned and waited for them to go in separate directions, then Air Assassinated all of them individually. I didn't take any damage and it still worked Tongue

Why did it have to end this way?

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
ACFangirl wrote:
-Waypoint marker relocates itself
Something similar like this happens to me except it's with the custom marker you can use. It'll randomly place itself somewhere on the map and if I teleport to the closest point to the custom marker it will relocate itself and I'll have to place it again.

That's what I was referring to. Smile

What system do you play on, PS3 or 360? If you're a PS3 player, I'll add the PS3 tag to the appropriate bugs in the list. Thanks for the contribution! And welcome to the site. Smile

Jedted's picture
Jedted
Offline
Citizen
male
Old Bridge, NJ
Joined: 01/17/2010
DarkAlphabetZoup wrote:
@Jed, I ran around in the trees as soon as they spawned and waited for them to go in separate directions, then Air Assassinated all of them individually. I didn't take any damage and it still worked Tongue

I tried Air Assassinating them but they moved out of the way, I assumed they were too smart for that.

Ah well, as i said the Trip-Wire trick worked like a charm. I think that was the only time i actually used it the whole game, wish i thought of it sooner.